SAFE BUSINESS PRACTICES
Safety is a key value that guides how we conduct business at BGC Cement. As an Australian owned and operated company, we are absolutely committed to the safety, health and wellbeing of our customers, contractors and employees.
We pride ourselves on our open and consultative approach to health and safety. Our safety system provides a clear set of requirements and expectations for managing risk in every aspect of our business. In addition, our in-house behavioural safety program encourages our people to take control of their own safety, empowering them to work safely “for the right reasons”.
BGC Cement’s comprehensive training program ensures that we have a fully trained, qualified and competent workforce. The program involves the implementation of a personal development plan for each employee and includes verification of competency for key tasks. This process provides personnel with a structured career progression plan.
BGC Cement takes its legal and moral obligations seriously. All of our activities are thoroughly planned and designed in detail to minimise the environmental impact on the community. We work under strict licensing and reporting conditions, which are regularly audited by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.
Chain of Responsibility
BGC has the necessary processes in place to adhere to its COR obligations, including:
- Comprehensive training for all forklift operators, tanker drivers and logistics personnel
- Verified loading, securing and weight checks on every load
- Smooth traffic flow over weighbridges to maximise efficiency
- Strict, driver fatigue management system
- Regular, random drug and alcohol testing of all staff and delivery drivers
- Member of the Accredited Mass Management Scheme operating to Level 3
Working Safely – when no-one’s watching…
Comprehensive workplace consultation:
- Active Safety Committee
- KPIs for representative inspections
- Accompanied weekly inspections with representatives and management
- Daily pre-starts
- Monthly Toolbox meetings
- Safety Circles
- Comprehensive training calendar for all staff
- Personal values’ safety training for all staff